Order Your JRPass
margieannep
margieannep
22 days ago
4 answers

Hi JRPass Team,

I am wondering if it is worth getting the Japan-wide JRail Pass or even a regional pass. My husband and I will be in Japan for 27 days. There is a bit of flexibility to move the order of the itinerary, but wondering what might be the best way to optimize the itinerary to make the pass(es) worth it. Thanks in advance!

September 26-30 (4 nights) - Tokyo
September 30-October 2 (2 nights) - Hakone
October 2-4 (2 nights) - Kobe
October 4-6 (2 nights) - Matsue (tentative location, still undecided)
October 6-9 (3 nights) - Hiroshima
October 9-16 (7 nights) - Osaka, Kyoto, Nara
October 16-23 (7 nights) - Tokyo (with day trips)

Alexis
Alexis
851 posts
18 days ago
Expert

Hi there,

My recommendation would be to purchase a 14-day JR Pass for use between October 2-16. This covers the travel between Odawara (Hakone) to Kobe, a very expensive trip, and then enables you to travel to Matsue, Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. Although this means that you’d have to purchase the rest of your tickets at the start and end, it’s likely to be your most cost-effective option.

Alternatively, a 21-day JR Pass would cover your itinerary in a more complete way if you were to have it valid to cover your train trips (leaving out some days at the start and end when you’re in Tokyo, where it won’t be of much use except day trips. E.g. if you have it set to start for September 30th then it can finish in Tokyo at the end after a number of days giving you time for day trips as well. It would be slightly more expensive but definitely a lot easier to organise. But note that travel to Hakone from Tokyo is only covered up until Odawara, where you’ll either have to purchase a separate ticket as the company that operates the railway is privately owned, or you can look into a Hakone FreePass, which covers all transit including ferries within the Hakone Area as well as the return trip to and from Odawara.

Hope this helps!

Alexis

margieannep
margieannep
4 posts
18 days ago

Hi Alexis,

Thanks for the information. Is there an order of locations I should follow, that would work better with a regional pass instead?

margieannep
margieannep
4 posts
18 days ago

For example, the JR-West Sanyo-Sanin Area Regional Pass?

Alexis
Alexis
851 posts
14 days ago
Expert

Hi there,

The order you have chosen already is quite reasonable as it progressively goes more West and so follows a natural route - in this sense, it may be worth looking into one of the Sanyo or Kansai area passes for your time there between Kobe and Osaka/Kyoto.

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $368.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17840 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes